28.08.2019-298 views -Sgi Case Study
Queries for the Case Analysis:
1) What factors and characteristics comprised the equity in the Silicon Design brand in 1996?
2) How would you characterize the SGI company in 2k?
3) So what do you think SGI did proper in terms of building its brand?
4) Do SGI help to make any errors in the way it managed the brand?
5) Was the rebranding of SGI successful -- and how would you measure success, in general?
6) What tips would you offer SGI management regarding stewardship of their manufacturer in the future?
1) Silicon Graphics was founded in 1982 by Dr . James Clark, who was a professor for Stanford University and had designed a new chip that would better the 3 DIMENSIONAL graphics functionality of personal computers (Case Study). From 1982 until 1996, Silicon Design underwent various changes that directly damaged the brand value in 1996. In order to assess what made up the brand equity of Silicon Graphics 1 must determine what brand value is alone. Brand fairness is what sets apart one brand from another one, offering comparable products. In cases like this, for example , we're able to argue that Silicon Graphics brand equity would be all the resources Silicon Images offers that means it is different from IBM while offering comparable products (www.groups.haas.berkeley.edu). Brand fairness is in fact a psychological worth that is created in the minds of customers and is just created if the consumer brings the real assets the brand is providing; brand recognition which would be how the brand manages to be associated to some category or perhaps product line. When it comes to Silicon Graphics, it would be the way they managed through time to be associated with " visual computingвЂќ which was all their specific merchandise cue. The brands level of perception, all their quality in comparison to that of all their competitors, that was one of Silicon Graphics' best and most highly valued assets. Si Graphics' had innovated computer and provided the best quality of 3D image resolution, created specifically for their high end target market (engineers, graphic designers, scientists). Another important property is company level of empathy, of self-confidence; and of course the brands charm. All the intangible assets that sum up in the consumers psyche making them believe when x=y, x is still better than y (Kapferer, In. J 1997). In studying the question raised, what factors and qualities comprised Si Graphics brand equity in 1996 one cannot exclusively measure the brand equity during 1996. Brand equity is definitely something that is created over time, and for that reason, Silicon Graphics' brand collateral was affected by the previous years. Si Graphics had a target audience and a protect niche market; it had positioned on its own at the high end of the range and most of its market was willing to pay the price. Seeking back, it can be right to say that Silicon Graphics did have a special put in place the heart of those clients but by 1996 Si Graphics had moved on in to the mainstream market. Some of the crucial features of brand equity just like brand recognition and level of perception could possibly be found in the first stages of SGI, because previously mentioned, they'd an established and constant audience and they differentiated themselves from their competition in the top quality and particular care they were putting into the production and aesthetics with their hardware. Simply by 1996, it is quite hard to discuss brand equity in the SGI brand. Even though did preserve a level of loyalty using their previous buyers, SGI targeted the low end market and so had downgraded in top quality, what once was a difference with the competitors had become a parity. They had likewise lost in brand understanding and notion, although they had been still identified in their initial market they were doing not do well to be named a brand by their new customer base and this was a problem associated with their increased sub-branding and the independence and consequent deficiency of relationship between sub company and key brand, Dave Bagshaw: " for the first...